We spend about one-third of our waking hours at work. That’s why our workplaces appear to be second properties and why our co-workers really feel like prolonged households.
Nevertheless, COVID-19 modified our work surroundings in 2020. Many people labored from house for a interval. Step by step, companies reopened and workers returned to the workplace.
As a B2B company, OFDC Industrial Interiors works intently with nationwide firms, native firms and mom-and-pop companies. Our purchasers signify medical, authorized, retail, manufacturing, name facilities and different industries. Every has been impacted in a roundabout way by COVID-19. That’s evident when strolling into any workplace at present.
Our shut partnership with fellow companies provides OFDC distinctive perception into the challenges and modifications in workplaces throughout Southwest Florida. Beneath are seven methods the office surroundings modified in 2020:
- Interior design: Open floorplans have been stylish for the reason that early 2000s. It’s a deliberate design idea meant to foster collaboration, creativity and teamwork. Sadly, medical specialists say these shared areas additionally foster the unfold of germs, viruses and micro organism. Going ahead, count on architects and inside designers to restrict open areas within the office.
- Workplace furnishings: Cubicles are making a comeback. Partitions or dividers provide a bodily barrier between workers with out being completely closed off like a person workplace. Though cubicles do not need doorways or partitions that attain the ceiling, they supply a much-needed sense of privateness and luxury.
- Reconfigured areas: When possible, workers’ desks could be positioned such that people are back-to-back slightly than going through one another. Desks can also face towards partitions slightly than open, central areas. Retail shops and supermarkets struggled implementing one-way foot site visitors patterns. Workplace environments could also be extra conducive to these pointers. OFDC offers reconfiguration services for companies looking for a safer, but purposeful, workplace design.
- Convention rooms: Workers and shopper conferences are nonetheless vital, however the invite checklist may get smaller. Additionally, pure wooden tables and leather-based chairs could also be changed with acrylic or glass tables and non-upholstered chairs. The brand new furnishings could be simply cleaned with sanitizing options.
- Distant work: Sure forms of industries lend themselves to distant work, both as a everlasting or momentary answer. Throughout Florida’s “safer at house” order, nonetheless, many professionals found their house workplace setups have been sorely missing. In any case, remote work requires a remote office. As an extension of the work workplace, a house workplace wants a purposeful desk, snug chair, good lighting and a powerful Wi-Fi connection. With out these key parts, productiveness can endure.
- Cleansing: Many companies have their workplaces cleaned two or thrice weekly. That service sometimes entails emptying trash bins, sweeping the ground and cleansing restrooms. Now, cleansing routines contains sanitizing all touchpoints – door handles, gentle switches, printers, fax machines and microwaves. In 2020, OFDC launched Enterprise Sanitization Necessities to supply employers with an additional layer of security and safety.
- Consciousness: We now perceive how our well being impacts these round us. There isn’t a longer an unstated peer stress to “suck it up” and energy by way of illness. For those who’re sneezing, coughing or working a fever, simply keep house and relaxation or work at home. Handwashing isn’t simply advised; it’s anticipated. Many employers are offering Again-to-Work Luggage that comprise protecting face masks, hand sanitizer, gloves and different security necessities.
The workplace – the place the place we spend 40 (or extra) hours every week – seems completely different now, and will look completely different for the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, no enterprise has ever been profitable by wanting the identical, considering the identical or doing the identical. COVID-19 is likely to be our alternative to take one step backward and two steps ahead.
Inquisitive about making a protected, purposeful workplace surroundings on your firm? Name OFDC Industrial Interiors at present at 239-347-4876 or full our On-line Request Type.
Observe: This weblog initially appeared as an article within the December version of Southwest Florida Business Today.